It has been a busy week now that we are back to using workboxes. I have to say I love it and so do the kids! It took five minutes to put their new work in each evening, and then we were set for productive days.
Highlights for the week are as follows:
1. Joseph and Emma grasped hundreds without blinking an eye. Thank you Math U See Primer! They did their little practice page each day and were working independently on it after day 1.
2. Makayla has come under the misguided notion that when she is given an assignment it is up for discussion or debate. Yes, welcome to the battle of wills between myself(an oldest child) and my oldest child. Sigh. Still, she got her math chapter done, including the chapter test and the end of unit test. She also wrote a story for Unit 3 of IEW about a dragon and a squirrel.
3. The Tale of Peter Rabbit unit has been wonderful with the younger children! We have enjoyed reading the story, as well as several others by Beatrix Potter, and the lapbooks are nearly finished as well. We had a Peter Rabbit snack day this week with this yummy set of veggies from Mr. MacGregor’s garden: Nobody liked the radishes, but we tried them! Thanks to a tip from a friend I also rented the movie Miss Potter just for myself and watched it in the evenings after the children were in bed – a lovely story.
4. Makayla and I began our study of World War I this week. We’ve learned how an assassination between two tiny countries provoked the largest war between the most countries up to that time. We have delved into life in the trenches and discovered just what a U-Boat is and how it relates to the United States entering the war. This unit will definitely take several weeks to accomplish.
5. The children have learned the two verses to I Pray in Faith. They even sang for the missionaries who came to dinner Thursday evening. Next week we’ll work on splitting into two groups to sing both verses at the same time.
6. They are halfway done memorizing our current scripture passage, 2 Nephi 32: 8-9, which is also on prayer.
Keep an eye out this weekend for our workbox plans (x4!) for another week, and see what others have done at the Weekly Wrap-Up.