With Christmas approaching and all of our shopping done the only thing left to do at my house is weed out toys we no longer need or want. We do this each year and things fall into a number of groups as we sort:
- Broken/Lost pieces (trash)
- Outgrown and Unloved (pass along to others)
- Outgrown - Pack Away for Younger Children
- Keepers (currently being loved and played with)
In my marriage we have one person who loves to let things go to new homes and one who would rather keep everything. It’s hard to see the other person’s perspective, even after 11 years of marriage, but we keep trying. When you add the children’s opinions into the mix it can be overwhelming, to say the least. Again, we have a child or two who will happily let toys move to new homes and a few who cling to every toy – including ones they’ve not played with in months or a year. And stuffed animals? Don’t even get me started!
So here’s where you come in dear readers:
- I want you to leave a comment sharing what toys are keepers to you. For example, even when I have no children in the right age range for Little People sets I keep them tucked away in the attic. Little People are durable, classic toys that every one of my children has loved at some point in their lives. Be it the castle set my oldest son loved, the farm set my animal lover treasured, or the pirate ship my current 2 year old adores. We don’t give away Little People.
- I want to know what toys you think every family should have for a certain age, if they can.
- I want to know the toys you don’t think need to enter a home too – and why! (Barbie tops our list.)
- Do you have a limit on the number of toys a child can have? What about a limit on stuffed animals?
- I want to know how you choose toys for your family. Do you have any rules or guidelines? (We won’t buy dolls that are immodestly dressed, for example, and we like to invest in toys that will last through more than one child, as well as toys that invite a child to use their imagination.)
- Are there any toys on your mental wishlist – ones you w0uld love to invest in if the price were right?
Basically, I want to know all your thoughts on toys for your children, so get sharing!